Wednesday 2 December 2009

Using our Instincts

Last week we were discussing what we have learnt over the last 7 weeks. A question arose on what is involved when making a decision or judgement; some students claimed that we make decisions based on logic (e.g. outlining the pros and cons or advantages and disadvantages). However, this does not explain why we make good decision under limited time and knowledge. I did not mention much in the lecture, as I am quite shy, but I saw a great documentary called "My Brilliant Brain- Make Me A Genius". Although the first impressions of this documentary may be that it has nothing to do with judgment and decision making; if you watch it there is a part where Susan Polgar (the world's first grandmaster) uses her instinct to make her next move while playing a chess game under 60 seconds. In other words she uses her memory of previous games and plays her next move using her instinct. Most people who play chess think before they make their next move, using logic, thinking of the alternative moves etc. Surprisingly, by using her instinct, Susan always wins at chess. This may suggest that we unconsciously use our memory when we make a quick snap judgment or decision. I personally believe that our brains are extremely complex; when we make a decision or judgment we use our memories, emotions and our morals combined to make a rapid choice, which we think is best. Please right click on the hyperlink below to watch this documentary, or type into google video.

My Brilliant Brain - Make Me A Genius

3 comments:

  1. Hi - good comment. In fact, what you have highlighted here is relevant to decision making. Some research into naturalistic decision making indicates that experts do not need to consider "options" if they are able to match a situation to previous experience, but may generate options if they can't find such a match. I talk about this in my textbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment that is exactly what I wanted to say in the lecture but did not have the guts to.. did you watch the documentary?

    PS: it is extremely hard to get a hold of your book in the library! which chapter is it in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello - I'm not sure if you'll still be reading this, but I've only just caught up with your question. I did watch the documentary when it was first on television; as for my book, it's the chapter titled "Dynamic and Everyday Decisions"...I think that is Chapter 11 (I don't have the book to hand, so I'm not 100% sure).

    David

    ReplyDelete